Wednesday, May 25, 2011

A Few Activities.

I present to you: Las Cuidad de las Artes y Ciencias!

It was really bright and I was staring into the sun, but thought there should be one or two of these pictures with me actually in it.

The day's itinerary consisted of walking along a path of orange trees to get to the center:
Oranges are a huge part of the Valencian culture here. One of the best things I get on our morning breaks  at school is a small glass of orange juice--(Zumito), freshly squeezed (per order) 100% orange juice. It's really delicious. Another great drink we've had at the beach (sorry no pictures for that--camera and sand don't mix) is Agua de Valencia. Definitely a drink recipe I have to take home (gin, vodka, cava (spanish champagne), and fresh orange juice. Yummy!

This was the Cuidad as we first approached it:


The whole concept is of a very new-age modern architecture, and it's truly amazing that the buildings are so artistic. Definitely easy to photograph:

Another angle....

This is the science building we visited. It has a 3 floors (I think) and was all about little mini stations for hands on science learning ranging from topics like the human body and sports, to space, to Marvel comics. It was more of an artistic opportunity for me, hopefully when I get more time I can upload more.

After an hour or so there, we went to see an IMAX film on the Hubble space station. I listened to it in Spanish so I didn't understand some of it, but the whole experience is like you are sitting in bed staring at your ceiling that just happens to be this huge screen. When we "moved" through space it felt like we were actually moving. We are going back sometime next week to go to the Oceanografico, which is the aquarium so I'll have lots more pictures of this part of town then.

Then that brings us to today, when we went to the Catedral de Miguelete. Climbed 207 steep stairs to get a great view of the entire city! Pictures will follow when I am able to get a decent amount of sleep--we've been skipping our siestas to take the opportunity to explore the city more.

It's pretty late here, so I'm off to bed before school and activities start all over again tomorrow. Until next time--hasta luego!

No comments:

Post a Comment